Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Off to the fair

"Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will you set you free."
- I don't know where I got this from

"Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it."
-Maya Angelou

Even if I grew up making little things to sell at school or in front of my mother's shop I never had a table at a fair. I had always thought about it, but I was always too scared to put myself "out there." 


At the beginning of this year I told myself I would just do it and not think too much. Just do it, the thoughts can come up later. And then the timing wasn't right (when is it ever?).  I had only 15 days to make things as I had been traveling quite a lot, and I can never really find the time or energy to make things when I'm out and about. 

Of course many thoughts came and went like; Will I sell? Will people like what I do? Would people even notice the table?

Many things happened those two days, mostly in mind. The reality is always very different from what we imagined. I did sell. The people that approached my table did like what I do. And yes some people noticed my table.

The fair was the wrong fair for me and my work, it ended up being very different from what I had perceived the year before, but that has even made me more excited to find another fair that is actually better suited for me and my work. I think the first step is always the hardest, but once you're "out there" you simply are, and there is no turning back.

I have added this embroidered tree to my Etsy shop, and will be adding a few more things this week.

If you have ever thought of having a table at a fair or market, I really can't recommend it enough. Find the strength, do what you love and show it.

Lots of love, and happy spring,
Giova

9 comments:

  1. You are so creative and it is so wonderful to show others your work...I really do like the "tree"...everything about it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Patricia, it means a lot! I'm happy you like the tree!

      Delete
  2. Hurray for you, Giova, you were so brave to 'just do it'! I love the way you displayed your things too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kate! The first minutes I thought I was going to crumble, but I realized that since I am not made up of the proper material to crumble, I wouldn't. I'm glad you liked the display, I did too ;)

      Delete
  3. Well done! i've only done one many years ago, it was glass painting! it was a lot of work, not very successful, but an experience, and yes I think if you keep going there is a definite process at work. I would like to do it. I imagine travelling the country doing interesting craft fairs, with a little van and perhaps an interesting man along too! I'm still not sure exactly what my wares would be, probably crochet and maybe something wooden or cloth.....who knows. I just can't seem to really apply myself to making it happen right now. Anyway bravo for doing it. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're dream of a van, and traveling , craft fairs, also calls my attention... sounds perfect! Maybe we'll bump into each other in one of the fairs?
      If it is something you really want, I hope it becomes real for you.
      All the best!

      Delete
  4. Jane CampbellApril 29, 2016

    Good for you Giova. I have had a monthly market stall for the last six years or so. Nothing beats talking to your customers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They will supply you with an expert and efficient 24 hour tow trucks of the car to its vacation spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The greater an associate promotes an affiliate community web site the consumer who wants to buy the object or service.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...